Monday, March 5, 2012

Lone Star

No, not that kind of lone star quilt. I had one block left over from my wonky stars quilt and it's been hanging out on my design wall, just waiting patiently for a purpose.

mini

The large aqua star is the one I had left over from the first quilt. As I was playing around with the scraps of fabric I had left, I decided it needed a couple of friends so I made one and half more stars. Improv piecing like this is so fun because you never really know how things are going to turn out until it's completely finished. It really pushes you to keep going until it's done!

mini detail

I first considered quilting this with vertical wavy lines, but then decided that didn't match the straight edges and sharp angles of the stars. So instead I quilted about a 1/4" away from all the stars- I love how this exaggerates the points of the stars.

I'm linking up to the Modern Mini Challenge over at Ellison Lane Quilts!

Modern Mini Challenge

----

For the first time, I'm also linking up to:

Fresh Poppy Design

8 comments:

  1. I love this quilt! Its so quirky and fun. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stars look great and I love the wonky border, so cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! I love the geometric style! The quilting is great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute quilt!! The wonkiness is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love,love the slant of that square and the quilting you have chosen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I like this! The prints go so well together and I like how you made the inner border asymmetrical. Very cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.