Monday, November 19, 2012

Weekends Tumbler Quilt

weekends tumbler 1

I finished my tumbler quilt about a week ago and I love the way it turned out!

weekends tumbler 3

While blogging has helped me get a bit more motivation to finish projects, it's also made it possible for me to look back and see exactly how long ago I started something. I first cut out those tumblers way back in February.

This quilt came together slowly. At first I was just using the the green colorway of this fabric collection, but all the patches just blended together. It needed more contrast so I added the solid aqua. Better, but not quite enough. So I cut some more tumblers from the violet colorway and it worked! Adding the violet colorway also allowed me to get in some more of those little bike prints. Squee!

weekends tumbler detail 1

I tried a finishing technique with this quilt that I've never done before. Rather than binding the quilt, I finished it with a facing (using this tutorial). I had wanted to bind it with the solid aqua, but I didn't have enough left. And this fabric had been sitting in my stash for ages, so I didn't have a color name/number, and I couldn't find a good match in any of my local fabric shops. So facing, with no fabric showing on the front, was the perfect solution.

weekends tumbler detail 2

I quilted it with simple straight lines, about 1/4" from the seams. The solid aqua tumblers got an extra outline stitch on the inside. You can see the quilting really well on the back. I like the back almost as much as the front!

weekends tumbler 5

And, just for fun, a peek at one of my little helpers:

weekends tumbler 4




Fresh Poppy Design

2 comments:

  1. I really love your tumbler quilt Jenny, the quilting looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how the quilting looks in the back! Will have to try that facing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment!
I reply to comments via email, so if you're a "no reply commenter" please leave your email in the comment so I can write you back. Otherwise, I look like a jerk who just ignored you. And I don't wanna be a jerk.